Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 08:51 AM
mattmeck

Quote:
in order to stop further things like this.. why dont you guys just close the project and wiz, melwin, and le just go on and just keep it close source .. i mean it would solve alot of problems in the future and the community wouldnt have to deal with power trips from wiz, melwin and others.. just close it.. dont offer it to anyone.. and done deal.. just a suggestion i guess..
Mel isnt even a Dev whay you name him?

Closed source and close the project? ok what would the other 19323 people do? This would NOT help the community at all. And a lot of buf fixes come from the Jr Devs and people just fiddling around. how would them not being able to help solve anything at all?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Derision
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fataldelay
just keep it close source .. i mean it would solve alot of problems
Nope, I would think that would definitely see EQEmu split into two, i.e. a 'closed source fork' and an 'open source fork'.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:55 AM
mattmeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derision

Nope, I would think that would definitely see EQEmu split into two, i.e. a 'closed source fork' and an 'open source fork'.
And nether one as good as if it never happend.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Wiz
Dragon

Quote:
sorry dev/noob to see you go.. wont be the same..

in order to stop further things like this.. why dont you guys just close the project and wiz, melwin, and le just go on and just keep it close source .. i mean it would solve alot of problems in the future and the community wouldnt have to deal with power trips from wiz, melwin and others.. just close it.. dont offer it to anyone.. and done deal.. just a suggestion i guess..
Because since image was power tripping and got booted out, it should be closed source so that the devs who got rid of the power tripper won't power trip.

Wtf? Are you high?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:57 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

Windcatcher left?
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:01 AM
fataldelay
Fire Beetle

in response to wiz,

no im not high..

Wiz, melwin, and le and a few work hard on this project.. too hard i believe..

but sometimes you guys do have that attitude..

so.. i just really think you guys should close the source.. make your own servers.. have people play on your servers.. and leave it at that..

it would solve problems in the long run.. close the forums, support.. everything..

sorry but it does solve alot of things in the long run..

pick and choose who you want to have the source.. keep it from everyone else..

/shrugs
Old 08-24-2004, 09:04 AM
melquiades
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Yeah, already some closed source project :
http://everquest2.station.sony.com/
No public power trips arguments there

And so, we have a brand new app to hack and try to emulate, because we want a custom version for each server, it's called EQEMu. Let's emulate it.

Sry for being sarcastic, but, oh well ...
Old 08-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
in response to wiz,

no im not high..

Wiz, melwin, and le and a few work hard on this project.. too hard i believe..

but sometimes you guys do have that attitude..

so.. i just really think you guys should close the source.. make your own servers.. have people play on your servers.. and leave it at that..

it would solve problems in the long run.. close the forums, support.. everything..

sorry but it does solve alot of things in the long run..

pick and choose who you want to have the source.. keep it from everyone else..

/shrugs
Personally, I'd rather play on EQLive if we only had a couple servers to choose from and it was closed source.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:07 AM
melquiades
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Windcatcher left?
Maybe someone should tell him, sure he'd like to be informed of that .
Old 08-24-2004, 09:09 AM
fataldelay
Fire Beetle

btw .. sorry to name melwin as a dev.. seems he is one as much as hes on the forums.. oh well.. im just a newb with a suggestion as stupid as it may sound... I havent messed with eqemu since mini login stopped.. just jumping from servers to servers to play around a bit.. but not really serious into anything.. heck im still looking for a decent host ... anyways.. ive seen alot of emu's come and go.. and well most all emus have a group of devs that react.. or act this way.. i would have to say 98% of them do...

So why create something just to give to everyone else. then treat people they way you want to.. just close the source close everything.. end the project.. those devs that have a server running keep it running.. and leave it at that...

thats all im saying...

wiz i dont know what happened with your arguement with dev/noob or who is right or wrong.. and most here will probably never know the real truth.. but i guess it really dont matter and like melwin said should have been kept off the forums.. and Melwin should have just deleted the post and banned him as well from the forums..

oh well thats my post limit for the year.. everyone have a good one
Old 08-24-2004, 09:11 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

It is in my opinion that things like this are crucial to express to the public, don't we already get enough lies and coverups from the US Government?
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Jett
Fire Beetle

How does every post always turn political? lol
Old 08-24-2004, 10:07 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar1898
Umm just about everything works, merchants, combat, looting, etc. The only thing that I have been told that didnt work was AA's.
I try to keep up-to-date on this, but it's really rather difficult, so I just assumed since nobody knew anything that we didn't have it working.

I stand corrected. :P

Edit: And seriously you guys, stop lumping me together with developers. I'm just a guy who moderates the forums. I might not cut you any slack, but I don't do any actual work on the project compared to any given developer.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Spike
Discordant

I was in IRC when I heard that WC left (dunno who said it) and I haven't heard him post in a while. Maybe I shouldn't have said that huh...
Old 08-24-2004, 10:09 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

Quote:
How does every post always turn political? lol
Cuz we're 2 months away from a RL election in the US.

And an election just took place here. And one that, like our last U.S. election, ended with a handful of people condemning the vote as invalid.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Closed Thread